Online ads are always a nuisance. But it can be more dangerous because of the malware they can carry. Unbeknownst to everyone, Google Chrome has a way to keep ads from opening in websites. If you are trying to get a fix for Firefox, it becomes a little bit more difficult. Below we solely focus on Google Chrome, and how to get rid of pop-ups and pop-unders from opening on websites without your consent.
Enabling the pop-up blocker
- Open Settings from the Google Chrome menu.
- Choose Show advanced settings.
- Under Content Settings, look for the Privacy section, and choose Content Settings.
- Under the Pop-ups section, choose Do not allow allow site to show pop-ups.
- Save the settings by clicking OK.
- Browse sites to test the newly applied settings.
Installing the AdBlock extension
- Open Google Chrome, go to Resources, and download the AdBlock extension.
- Choose the Add to Chrome option.
- To confirm and install the addition, choose Add.
- After adding the extension, the effect is immediate. No need to relaunch Chrome.